Sunday, December 31, 2023

Beary Christmas with Northern Lights


I've *always* wanted to make a "northern lights" card. I've actually seen the aurora borealis a few times and they are mesmerizing and magical! So when I saw this card in the Beary Christmas Memories and More Cards pack, I knew I wanted to add the northern lights to it. 

This was a 4x6" printed panel so I cut it down slightly to 5.25x4" fit on a standard A2 card base (5.5" x 4.25").

First I cut apart the printed panel at the horizon line, along the water line and along the iceberg lines. The top part that I cut away had the sentiment so I saved that to add back later. I cut a piece of Basic White cardstock to 5.25x4" and started using blending brushes with my Parakeet Party ink pad and made a few fuzzy diagonal lines. Then I repeated with Pretty Peacock, brushing beside but not covering up the Parakeet Party areas. Finally, I filled in the night sky with Night of Navy ink. 


In retrospect, I wish I had used more Night of Navy and perhaps even a little Basic Gray to darken the night sky further. Well, maybe next time...! (and next time, more "in progress" photos!).

I adhered the ink brushed panel to the card front, added the bottom, propped it up with Dimensionals, then cut the sentiment in two...adding the first part on the front and the second part inside.

Last but not least, I used a white gel pen to the card front to add dots for stars...including a small rendition of the big dipper! (I didn't have the confidence to alter the star sizes...another detail to finesse the next time I try this technique.)

Hope you enjoyed the descriptive of how I created this card. This was my very first attempt so I didn't really expect it to turn out! LOL

Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jungle Pals standing fun fold birthday card

Salebration…it’s the two month promo period (Jan-Feb) when Stampin’UP! offers a special selection of free stamps, dies, dry embossing folder...